The OIV is currently accepting applications for the position of Head of External Relations. Reporting directly to the Director General, this role offers a unique opportunity to develop the organisation's external relations while managing the communications team
To develop and deliver, together with the Director General, the organisation’s external relations plans and activities within the context of the OIV Strategic Plan, including: building and maintaining political and institutional relationships with members, non-member countries, other intergovernmental organizations, sub-national entities and private sector representatives; management of special projects.
To develop and deliver, together with the Director General, the organisation’s communications plans and activities within the context of the OIV Strategic Plan, including: external and internal communications; events; media and organisational messaging; issues and crisis management; stakeholder communications and risk identification; special projects.
To manage the staff and activities of the Communications and Events Team.
To contribute effectively as a member of the Senior Management Team to the organisation’s leadership, planning and values.
Key result areas
Strategy, Leadership and People Management
In collaboration with the DG, develop and deliver annual and long term strategies and budgets for building engagement with members, non-members and key organisations to build the profile and influence of the OIV.
In collaboration with the DG, develop and deliver annual and long term strategies and budgets for organisational communications and events to build the profile of the OIV with key audiences.
In collaboration with the DG and Communications and Events Team, to prepare strategic and organisational documents and publications e.g. Annual Report.
Provide support for the DG in all areas within the responsibilities of the position including preparation and coordination of: agendas, visits, briefing documents, speeches, presentations, media statements, interviews etc.
Contribute to leadership, strategic planning and workflow management of the organisation as part of the Senior Management Team.
Ensure that operational costs are maintained within budget with any potential overruns reported to the DG as soon as possible.
- Build and maintain professional and productive relationships and networks with delegates and representatives of members, in order to coordinate between members and build understanding and support for OIV activities.
- Build and maintain professional and productive relationships and networks with representatives of non-members, relevant IGOs, NGOs and other organisations and persons of interest to the OIV’s mission in order to grow the reputation and influence of the OIV and identify opportunities for engagement within the framework of the OIV’s strategic plan.
- Seek suitable opportunities for the OIV to present its works at and participate in international conferences, summits and meetings to progress the OIV’s objectives and strategic plan.
- Seek suitable opportunities for the DG, President and Senior Management Team to meet with Ministers and high-level officials to progress the OIV’s objectives and strategic plan.
- Support the DG, President, DG spouse and other OIV senior staff as required with organisation and coordination of official meetings, visits, tours, interviews and presentations.
- Identify and implement opportunities provided by the 2024 Centenary to progress the OIV’s objectives and strategic plan.
- Contribute to the development and management of further special projects as required.
Communications and events
Develop and implement member and stakeholder communications strategies to maintain awareness and support for the OIV and its strategic objectives with members and other stakeholders.
Develop and implement media strategies to promote the OIV and its strategic objectives with target audiences.
Identify and implement media opportunities for OIV spokespeople.
Develop and produce media releases, press conferences, media events, media briefings, website and social media content as required.
Identify and manage public affairs issues and develop proactive management plans and strategies to respond to issues and crises.
Identify and implement opportunities provided by the 2024 Centenary to progress the OIV’s objectives and strategic plan.
Provide leadership and day to day management for direct reports within the Communications and Events Team, empowering them to deliver on their role responsibilities and/or KPIs, including regular performance feedback, KPI monitoring, formal review, reporting to the DG as required.
Contribute to the development and management of further special projects as required.
- The Head of External Relations is a senior management role in the OIV. The nature of the position will involve ‘out of hours work’ from time to time and overseas travel.
- A relevant tertiary qualification e.g. politics, law, international relations, communications, marketing, or business.
- Substantial experience (8+ years) in diplomacy, public affairs, communications or other relevant field, preferably at an international level.
- High level of English, French and at least one other of the OIV official languages preferred.
- Excellent communication and networking skills.
- Excellent analytical skills and sound professional judgement.
- Excellent staff management and leadership skills.
- Impeccable personal integrity and commitment to professional standards.
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Competence in managing budgets.
- Well-developed computer and IT literacy.
- Knowledge of the international vitivinicultural sector is preferred but not essential.
How to apply?
Please return completed form with a letter of motivation to Director General of the OIV
Send it to: email@example.com
Deadline: 31 December 2023